- Versatile systems and applications developer with 20+ years
- Special interests in networking (particularly electronic multimedia
mail and web related services), graphical user interfaces, and systems
design & development.
- Proficient C, Objective-C, C++, Lisp, Scheme, Fortran, and Assembly
programmer on UNIX/MACH (Linux, MacOS X, NeXTSTEP, SunOS), Windows
NT/XP, TOPS-20, Interlisp-D, and CP/M.
- GUI and visual design sense, experienced with Display PostScript,
- Customer centered, self-motivated and independent.
- Fluent in English and Swedish, knowledgeable of German and French.
- Dual US / Swedish Citizen.
|2003 - present
||San Francisco, CA, USA
Developer & Consultant: C, C# / MacOS X, Windows XP.
- Writing e-mail server software for Mailblocks Inc.
- Producing simulation software for a consumer device for Sonata
- Working on independent software development projects.
|1997 - 2003
||Mountain View, CA, USA
|1996 - 1997
||WebTV Networks, Inc.
||Palo Alto, CA, USA
Senior Software Engineer:
C / Solaris and C++, C# / Windows 2000 / XP.
- Member of the Core Services Group with special responsibility for
electronic messaging and infrastructure.
- Designed and wrote a complete MIME message implementation, HTML
rendering engine, and message storage architecture for the WebTV
- Designed and wrote a second generation service-based mail
application featuring a retargetable backend architecture for Microsoft
- Created a graphical TV UI viewer/editor and tools for managing
- Co-designed and implemented a scripting language called Jinx.
|1991 - 1996
||NeXT Computer, Inc.
||Redwood City, CA, USA
Senior Software Engineer:
Objective-C under NEXTSTEP.
- Wrote an extensive MIME implementation for NeXT’s Mail.app that
includes support for enriched text, partial and external-body messages
and added a number of new features such as escape completion, continuous
sizing, search & focus, Emacs keybindings, URL highlighting, dynamic
- Wrote a Post Office and UNIX Gateway for a next generation Mail-2
- Created a system administration tool for remote file system sharing
- Ported NEXTSTEP applications and libraries to proprietary RISC
- Ported large portions of BSD4.4 to NEXTSTEP and general UNIX tools
to Windows/NT. Responsible for networking and sysadmin commands.
- Technical liaison and OpenStep consultant on loan to SunSoft, Inc.
|1987 - 1991
||Rank Xerox EuroPARC
Research in Computer Supported Cooperative Work.
- Principal investigator and implementor of the Khronika Project on
event notifications and shared awareness. Project presented at ECSCW-91.
- Core member and main implementor of the Buttons Project on user
- Co-author and implementor of the Referrals Project on electronic
- Wrote tools and libraries for the EuroPARC integrated A/V
- Systems administrator of the lab’s computing environment.
- Wrote and published ImageViewer, a popular ~20 format image
converter and viewer for NEXTSTEP (freeware).
||ASEA Research and
- Designed and implemented a knowledge representation project.
||Palo Alto, CA, USA
- Wrote a prototype animated 3D information visualizer on an SGI 2400.
|1983 - 1987
Teaching / Research
Assistant, Member of Technical Staff
- System administrator responsible for electronic mail and networking.
- Original author of the IDA Sendmail Enhancement Kit.
- Taught programming in Scheme to members of the industry.
- Taught Interlisp and Assembly programming to 2nd to 4th year
|1982 - 1987
Master of Science in
Computer Science with Psychology and Linguistics
- Specializing in general program construction and artificial
Gaver, W., T. Moran, A.
MacLean, L. Lövstrand, P. Dourish, K. Carter, B. Buxton; Realizing a
Video Environment: EuroPARC's RAVE System, Proceedings of the
Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (CHI-92), May 1992.
Lövstrand, L.; Being
Selectively Aware with the Khronika Event Notification System,
Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative
Work (ECSCW-91), October 1991.
MacLean, A., K. Carter, L.
Lövstrand, T. Moran; User-Tailorable Systems: Pressing the Issues with
Buttons, Proceedings of the Conference on Computer-Human Interaction
(CHI-90), April 1990.
Lövstrand, L.; Electronic
Mail Addressing in Theory and Practice, Department of Computer and
Information Science, Linköping University, May 1987. Report no.
Lövstrand, L.; The Message
Manager (MM) User’s Guide and Reference Manual, Editor, Department of
Computer and Information Science, Linköping University, March 1986. Report
no. IDA SYSDOC 31.1.
Lövstrand, L.; Proceedings
of the First Annual SVADA Conference, Editor, October 1983.
|Travel, languages, foreign cultures and cuisines, hiking,
mountains, photography, reading, writing, music, film, philosophy, art,
acting, games, gadgets, the Internet, and everything else that tickles my